Monday, 15 March 2010

The Americans are comiiiing!

I received an email from AMERICA a couple of months ago, asking if we had any Shed things planned for the 2nd week of March. We didn't, but on hearing that two nice folk were coming to our fair city for a holiday I was delighted to organise something in their honour; a slap up (almost) British Sunday lunch was born. The starters weren't very British in origin, but are dishes I consider to be firmly planted in the British psyche anyway so....go away you pedantic sticklers, they were tasty.

Forman's Smoked Salmon with Buckwheat Pancakes, Shallots, Capers & Creme Fraiche
and/or
Smooth Chicken Liver Pate with Date and Apple Chutney & Brown Bread

Roast Beef, Yorkshire Pudding,
Carrot & Swede Mash, Green Beans, Cabbage & Gravy

Rhubarb & Apple Crumble with proper Custard

A selection of Cheeses from Neal's Yard
Colston Bassett Stilton, Montgomery's Cheddar, Innes Log
with Cotswolds Honey & more homemade chutney

As much homemade beer as you can drink!


All of the above, along with Monmouth coffee and haphazardly served tea (and failed-peanut-brittle-fudge-balls...tasty but sticky), £12 a head, though diners generously gave a wee bit more, thank you! I'm the first to admit that I'm not amazing at roast dinners yet, but no one complained and some even hinted for a doggy bag which I was more than happy to supply :)
We hope our American chums didn't find their British food-fest too stodgy, but like everyone else who came they made fantastic dinner companions. Last night really emphasised why we do our Shed things, and I found the loveliest email in my inbox this morning; I'm touched beyond belief.

We enjoyed today/tonight SO much that I had to write and tell you straight away! We were so happy to have found you guys - the perfect combination of relaxed vibe, lovely home cooked food, great atmosphere. We felt so at home and comfortable. The food was truly delicious - can't even pick out what I loved best! The pate, the beef, the gravy, crumble, cheese, special first time ever seen peanut fudge balls! Exactly what we always thought a supper club should be! Truly, we had a super night!

Sniff, how niiice!!!!!! If you're anywhere near as exquisite as our guests last night and you'd like to join us for a meal one day, email theshedlikesfood@gmail.com and I'll stick you on the mailing list. Thanks again to all of our guests, I had a great afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Just read LexEat's review and then your post here and I want to come!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We finally finished your scrummy pate so I have your crockery to drop back soon! x

    ReplyDelete