Monday, 8 March 2010

What to do with my life

The title of this post belies the triviality (word?) of content, but it sums up exactly why I love the 'Google suggestions' that pop up when you start typing into the search field.
"What to do with an excess of creme fraiche?" (as you do) was what I was going for, but paused on "with" to marvel at Google's helpful suggestions. In order of popularity, they are as follows;
- my life (!)
- the kids
- leftover turkey (make it into dinosaur shapes to entertain the kids?)
- short hair
- egg yolks (who ever has spare egg yolks? Custard, man, CUSTARD.)
- frozen pipes (one can only hope this is a home-plumbing query and not DIY reservsel of a serious medical procedure)

I mean, who ACTUALLY Googles "what to do with my life"?!?!

Anyway. So - quelle horreur - nothing really matched my exact search phrase, but then I remembered one of my favourite weird-but-tasty comfort dishes, which seemed a good idea given the BLOODY COLD weather we're having right now. Stay with me, it's not as ming as it sounds;

Spicy (!) Creme Fraiche (!!) Kidney Bean (!??!?!) Pasta

3 banana shallots, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 hot red chillis, with seeds if you're not a total poof, finely chopped
Your preferred pasta shape, enough 2 massive portions (fusilli, penne...whatever)
1 small tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed.
2 big tablespoons of creme fraiche or sour cream
Olive oil
Cheddar cheese - optional

In boiling salted water, cook the pasta to your liking. Meanwhile, in a large heavy-based frying pan, fry the shallots in olive until soft and golden. Add the garlic and chilli and leave to mingle on a low heat while your pasta finishes. Drain the pasta, and add to the shallots-chillis-garlic pan, along with the kidney beans and creme fraiche. Stick on a lid, and let it all get warm, but not too hot or the beans will go hard. Season well, and if you want to, grate some cheddar cheese on top (or a squeeze of lemon if you're feeling fancy), and dive in.

A well easy - if odd - meal, ready in 15 minutes. Protein, carbs, fat, done. Don't worry if you're thinking of coming to The Shed - I wouldn't dream to actually serving this to people - it's just one of those lazy ‘vice*’ meals that I like to eat every now and then. Everyone has their foibles.

*you know it's a bit wrong, but you love it anyway.

3 comments:

  1. Ha haaa love the idea of someone asking Google what to do with their life?! Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it's the top, number one most frequently asked question beginning with "what to do with". Hilarious!

    I have, obviously, now Googled 'what to do with my life' - I can't imagine the results would be very helpful for anyone at such a hiatus, and didn't find any interesting new directions to go in. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you just put 'what to do' the first result is 'what to do when your bored' ha ha

    ReplyDelete