Tuesday, 15 June 2010

Chorizo topped hummus

I recently cooked a tapas menu for a private party and thanks to my own scatterbrained demeanour now have a (big) surplus of cooking chorizo. This recipe is hardly splitting the atom, but it took me more attempts than I'm happy to admit to perfect my hummus so thought it might be worth sharing. I prefer a zingy, lemony hummus which makes a particularly good partner to the salty, savoury nuggets of chorizo. If anyone has any bright ideas for other chorizo recipes, please let me know!

Chorizo topped hummus, to serve 4 as a starter

1 can chickpeas, drained but with some liquid reserved
1-2 cloves garlic, depending on how stinky you like it
1tbsp tahini
2tbsp olive oil
Juice of 2 lemons
1tsp salt
200g cooking chorizo, sliced
Small handful fresh choped parsley

Whiz the chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice and salt in a blender until smooth, and taste. Add more of whatever you think it needs - if it's very thick you might want to add a little bit of the chickpea liquid, or more olive oil.

Fry the chorizo in a dry pan until nice and crisp. Chuck the hummus on a plate, top with the chorizo and a good drizzle of its oil, sprinkle with chopped parsley and get dipping. Yum.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely. I've never been convinced by my own attempts at hummus so must try your recipe.

    I had chorizo almost every night last week, and the chestnut and chorizo soup from Moro was my favourite dish: http://lili-in-the-kitchen.blogspot.com/2010/06/chestnut-and-chorizo-soup.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't go so far as to say foolproof, but it seems to work for me.
    I spotted your delicious looking post earlier today and have already written a shopping list with the ingredients! The soup looks really delicious (and I LOVE soup); I've got the moro books at home, but had completely missed this one in my recent quest for chorizo related recipes. Thank you!

    N

    ReplyDelete